The province of Alberta has announced that international students accepted before October 1, 2018, into a study program that is not on its new “Alberta Opportunity Stream List of Alberta Advanced Education Approved Post-Secondary Credentials” will still be considered for immigration to Alberta provided they meet all other requirements.
This update was posted on the Government of Alberta website on July 10, nearly a month after the Alberta Opportunity Stream became active.
The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) says, “[the] government is implementing a temporary transition period for this list to allow students and post-secondary institutions time to adapt to this change.”
The Alberta Opportunity Stream list of approved study program will now only apply to international student applicants who have been admitted to a study program on or after October 2018.
All applicants to the Alberta Opportunity Stream are required to meet residency status and work permit, language, education, work experience (in an occupation that is not part of the ineligible occupations list); and income level requirements.
An applicant who has been accepted into a post-secondary program before October 1, 2018 (who also meets all other requirements to the program) must:
- have an Alberta Advanced Education approved issued by an Alberta Advanced Education approved Alberta public and private post-secondary institution. The applicant’s credential must be:
- a certificate or post-graduate certificate program (minimum one year in length);
- a diploma program (minimum two years in length); or
- an undergraduate bachelor’s degree, graduate level degree or graduate level certificate or diploma program
- must be currently employed in an occupation related to his or her field of study in Alberta.
The AINP says, “post-secondary programs are excluded from the list when there are enough Albertans and Canadians to fill jobs in occupations related to these programs of study.”
The AINP invites international students who demonstrate education and skills that are aligned with Alberta’s labour market needs to make use of its Alberta Opportunity Stream and Alberta Express Entry Stream provided they meet the eligibility requirements.
The Alberta Express Entry Stream provides international students with a profile in the federal Express Entry system a pathway to Canadian permanent residence.
© 2018 CanadaStudyNews All Rights Reserved